Thursday, October 06, 2005

Dumb

In a $100 SnG that I recently played, the following hand occurred: At Level 3, 25/50, I open-raised 4x in MP with AhQh. The button and BB called. I bet half the pot on a Qs 8h 2h flop and the button called. I bet the pot on the 3c turn and the button called. I pushed all-in on the 9c river and the button called, showing 9d2c and busting me in 8th.

Besides being set on a Tilt Machine of epic proportions, the beat sent me into a deep philosophical fugue. It produced a question, one to which I needed to find the answer.

How can people be so stupid?

Well people, I'm happy to note, and to share with you, the reasons why Fish exist. And why they will continue to exist.

Behold Scientific Evidence: Unskilled and Unaware: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments

People tend to hold overly favorable views of their abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it.

That's rich.

I used to spend a lot of time on baseball message boards, before I got bogged down with the illogical nature of it all. Once, when arguing with a particularly deficient individual (and yes, I recognize arguing on a baseball message board doesn't exactly paint me in any kind of Aristotlian light), I said, "One of the biggest problems with stupid people is that they don't know they're stupid."

It seems I have been proven correct. Take that DM1967!

7 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Irritable Male Syndrome said...

The problem is that stupidity, even outside of the poker world, is rewarded.

This guy thought he was playing brilliantly, too.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Div said...

Did you 'have a go'?

If so, I can guess the response: 'I put you on AK'.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Heather said...

:(


Also, your RSS feed is short instead of full, which makes me saaad.

do me a HUGE favor? Go into your blogger dashboard: http://www.blogger.com/home

click on the little gear to change settings.

In the 'settings tab', select the 'Site Feed' link in the top row.

Change the 'descriptions' menu to show 'Full' instead of short.

Click the save settings button, and then click the 'republish index' button.

I will be SOOO HAPPY if you do this.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AK post-flop, with that half-pot bet, BUT...

WTF was he doing calling a 4X bet pre-flop with 92o and 8 people still in the game? And, with the full pot bet on the turn, I don't see how he calls unless he's one of those people that just sticks with a read once he makes it.

Tilt away, my good man, tilt away!

BSN

PS: I'm going to start filing these stories away and remind you guys of them on 10/23 whenever I get to your tables! ;-)

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger BadBlood said...

So freaking true. Especially here where I work.

I was "acting" manager for a while. I was an incompetent manager, but I KNEW I was incompetent.

Our new manager is also incompetent. He does not know that he is.

I rule at metacognitive skills

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

I've been playing nearly a whole year now so I'm far too good to have to worry about stuff like that.......

;-)

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

At least I can own up to the fact that I belong on the short bus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home