Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Great Moments in Television

So, I've settled in for the season premiere of "The Amazing Race," which has occasionally managed to hold my attention over previous installments, largely when you have people who are dating screaming at each other for 16 straight weeks. It's a "family edition" this year, four relatives of various stripe making up a team. The host is introducing us to each group in his trademark dramatic style.

"The Aiello family," he says.

"The Paolo family," he bellows.

When an African-American family appears on-screen, parents and two kids.

"The Black family," the announcer intones, sending both me and the dear and patient wife into fits of laughter that have hardly abated, partly because every time they interview a member of the family, the CG identifier at the bottom says, "Black Family."

3 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I lost the ability to breathe for quite some time after that came up.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger CJ said...

That was a bit unfortunate. And I was disappointed to see them go. They were a family I could root for. I'm not sure who else I want to win! Unfortunately I didn't realize it started last night and I missed most of the first episode.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Irritable Male Syndrome said...

See, I told you that your initial reaction wasn't racially insensitive. Looks like everybody felt the same way. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home