Monday, August 01, 2005

This 'n' That

Funny the kind of things you can see and do when you pull your head out from behind the Poker Machine for an evening....

Well, not entirely. There was iPodding. I've pretty much put everything on there that I desire from my own CD/mp3 collection and it's just over half full. Tonight's selections included Styx, Eminem, Slipknot, Primus and Rush.

I'm not sure if that means my tastes are eclectic or retarded. Regardless there's always been something about a Canadian Power Trio that stirs my loins.

For the record, my current favorite song in the whole wide world is "New Slang" by The Shins. There's something otherworldly about it. Totally original, yet somehow comforting, like an old memory.

Elsewhere in popular culture, the family and I went to see "The March of the Penguins" on Sunday. I'd heard and read so many great things about this documentary, but I walked away a little cold (haha, very punny). I take full responsibility for unrealistic expectations. It was nice. Beautifully shot, well-paced, occassionally moving and, in at least one instance, shocking. It is certainly an interesting story, but I think it's correct spot in entertainment is as Discovery Channel Special, rather than Feature Documentary.

I knew I should have lobbied harder for "Wedding Crashers."

Then we rented "Million Dollar Baby." Um, I'm not the guy who sits there pointing out how unrealistic films are. I'm happy to suspend my disbelief. But you have got to be kidding me. Most idiotic plot twist ever. Ruined the whole thing. I spent the last half hour flossing my teeth and thinking about work. You know, to find something more fun to do.

Anybody know where I can get a full accounting of the various microbrews produced in or around the Twin Cities? And how much it will cost drizz to ship me a case?

What exactly does it say about me that I feel like I will immediately jinx the A's unbelievable run by gloating? Don't answer that. I'm an educated man. But I am susperstitious as a mother...

Don't know how much I'll have here this week. No poker adventures. No smoking adventures. My everday life is not particularly entertaining--aside from the nightly sword/light-saber battles with AJ. I have welts. I am working on a story or two, but I don't feel very close to completion.

For the longest time, I thought "Red Barchetta" was about a butterfly. I guess you could say I wasn't hearing the lyrics exactly right (a "billion" Red Barchettas instead of a "brilliant" one).

The End.

5 Comments:

At 4:30 AM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

Red Barchetta sounds like an appetizer.

That's all I got today.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger StB said...

Why would you want beer from the Twin Cities? Like they know anything about beer?

Check out Sprecher and Lakefront Brewery from Milwaukee.

Too.damn.good.

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should check out the rest of the Garden State Soundtrack (if you already haven't). Lots of good stuff on there, including another good Shins song, and a good song by Frou Frou (seriously, how can a band called Frou Frou NOT have a good song?)

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

A case of Grain Belt should be about two-fitty for a case :)


Actually I was thinking of Schell beer

http://www.schellsbrewery.com/

Excellent brew made in MINNESOTA not the land of Cheeseheads and turpentine drinkers.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Irritable Male Syndrome said...

Summit is always a good choice. Like Drizz said, the Schell brewery puts out some good seasonal beers, but I usually just stick to their Mai Bock(6.9%!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home