Monday, November 21, 2005

Um, Yeah...

I took a shot at the Full Tilt $50K Guaranteed last night ($200+$15 buy-in). I don't have the bankroll for regular attempts at this level, but this is the third time I've tried one (the first on FT). I've been feeling pretty good about my game and thought the time was right. Guess so.



I bubbled out of the final table on a play that I'm not sure I like. I was ahead and it wasn't an easy call for the chip leader (or maybe it was, I don't know) because it cost him 20% of his stack to match my push over the top of his raise. I had AJo. He had Q7o. And he flopped two pair.

As I told Hank, "I was trying to win." There were only 9 people between me and $16K and I had a good opportunity there to double up and give the Chip Leader a hit. Didn't work out. In retrospect...well, I wonder if the fact I lost the hand is coloring my thinking, but a call there and I still have 38K in chips after missing the flop, enough to make a couple-three money jumps, which were big at that point.

Satisfaction and a tidy $600 profit, mixed with the feeling of a lost opportunity. Of course, realistically, no way I coulda bested CJ (from whom I appropriated the above screen shot).

Thanks to all you rail birds. Makes these things a lot more entertaining.

9 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger StB said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger StB said...

Good score! I need to get the cajones to step up to one of these big tournies.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger BigPirate said...

I just have to think that it will be one of those types of moves that will make you the big winner one day. I have a tendency to go into "watch one more player get eliminated so I can make an extra $50" mode once I get into the money, which is very similar to my "Gee, I hope three more short-stacks get dinged so I can make it into the money" mode. It's hard to be aggressive when playing a tournament that is above the usual buy-in as you want to be sure to get your investment back by at least placing. You (and by you I mean I) just need to remember that if you make the right, aggressive moves, you will be bankrolled for playing this level.

Again, Nice Job!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger GaryC said...

Very nice score.

On a completely unrelated note, I enjoyed playing in Pauly's tourney with you on Saturday.

Keep up the good work.

GaryC

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your EV was off the charts at that point. Good play, bad result.

And stop inspiring me to play more tourneys!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Nice score Joe.
Unlucky in the final hand.65% v 35%.That's one more the poker gods owe you.( if only it worked like that!)

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Mr Subliminal said...

Nice.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger CJ said...

Good run man... you deserved to be at that final table!

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Joanada said...

Congrats, that is awesome :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home