Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Glasses Half Full

I am one of those self-deluding dorks who sets his alarm clock 15 minutes ahead in a mis-guided attempt to fool myself into getting up earlier in the ayem, so as not to rush through the morning in a stressful state in order to make my train.

"Oh god! It's 6 o'clock already!"

And then midway through my shower, I realize I've beeen had. By me. It doesn't take much, folks.

Perhaps I should have moved my calendar three days ahead so I could comfortably finish NaNo, instead of rushing toward the finish line. As of yesterday, I needed to average abut 5K words a day to meet the deadline. Last night, I pumped out just over that number.

And boy are my similies tired.

All this despite the fact I had to spend considerable time consoling AJ, who, after a doctor's visit yesterday found out he'll likely need glasses in the future.

"But honey, glasses are no longer the stigma they used to be. Rivers Cuomo changed all that."
"I don't WANT GLASSES!"
"And that kid in 'Jerry Maguire' wore huge, over-sized glasses to maximum cuteness and comedic effect."
"Daddy, I ain't gettin' no kinds of laid looking like Jonathan Lipnicki."

Or something like that.

***********************

Poker? Not 'til Thursday. I fear I am cutting the Vegas prep pretty thin. Gotta keep the chops warm, so to speak. Though, if there was ever a perfect dry run, a final exhibition, the invasion of the Hollywood Home Game this Friday by Pauly, Grubby (and Grubette) is sure to be one where you want to play your starters at least three quarters.

Just what that game needs: More action.

4 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger GaryC said...

Funny, I'm the same idiot that tries fooling himself by setting the alarm clock fifteen minutes ahead. However, I'm too smart for my own good and just hit the snooze button two more times and I'm up just in time.

I'm not that easy to fool anymore.

Good luck with the novel.

G

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Show him tons of GQ mags where the cool guy wears the glasses...oh, he might start wearing funny color sweaters like his dad...ummm! I'm not sure how to overcome this...the four-eye jokes will always be there...ummm can't think of anything witty to teach the kid...four eyes are better than two? Sorry, I suck. But as smart as you are that's all you could come up with for the kid...I suck, but you are smart and good with words...thus, you suck more.

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

L sets the alarm clock 10 minutes ahead, but she's usually late anyway. So I set it another 5 minutes ahead without telling her. After a couple of weeks she'll realize that the clock is now 15 minutes ahead and change it back to 10. And the cycle will begin again.

She still hasn't figured out that it's me who's setting it ahead. Dumb broads.


And you should probably get the boy some of those Brian Roberts contact lenses. Cha-ching!

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

As a lifetime member of the Four-Eyed Freak Coalition, I welcome AJ to our brethren.

Make sure he has his leather glasses holder clipped to his shirt pockets for maximum visual effect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home