Thursday, April 30, 2009

Something New

It's that time again, kids! Time for me to recommend another band that you will all hate. I know you look forward to this occasional series.

I was pretty fired up when Emet secured pit tickets to see Kings of Leon in a couple weeks. Festival in Santa Barbara. Outside. 4500 capacity. Not sure it's reasonable to expect to see them in a similar-sized venue ever again, what with their soaring popularity. It being a festival, however, there are a number of other bands on the bill, so I figured I'd check 'em out to decide whether to watch them or rest my feet in the beer garden (I'm assuming there's a beer garden; there'd better be a beer garden).



I gave cursory listens to the bands lower on the bill. Tar, I'd heard of, due to their moronic re-imagining of Ginuwine's "Pony." Aside from that, they seem watchable. Remind me a bit of Helmet. But it was the penultimate band that has me in a tizzy.

I was instantly attracted to them because of their name. I've read DeLillo's "White Noise," (from which the band takes their moniker) and consider it one of the finest novels since the invention of words. If you've not read it, I highly recommend it. Also, you are a Jipperbrains (I may have called a fellow motorist a "Shit-for-brains" recently with AJ in the car, prompting him to ask, "What's a 'Jipperbrains?'").

But I'm not here to inslut you further, unless you don't like The Airborne Toxic Event. I can take or leave the single ("Sometime Around Midnight"). But I love (love, love, love) "Wishing Well" and "Gasoline" and "Happiness is Overrated" and, especially, "Something New."

Groovy. Soulful. Literate. Purchasable.

2 Comments:

At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Otis said...

G-Rob once called another driver "Fuckstick."

When asked by his daughter what he said, he responded, "Chopstick, dear."

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(in Brick voice)

"That's a pretty one- I like that."

Food for thought:

My sister's husband, whom you know, just died.

The cause: lung cancer
The culprit: lots of smoking

 

Post a Comment

<< Home