Saturday, March 01, 2008

Oysters & Chocolate

The imagery captured in "Taut" is simultaneously dream-like and tactile -- the elements of hazy reverie blended with the physicality of sex make for a romantic and sexy experience.

This is what someone thought of a poem I wrote. Thought enough of it to award it third in their contest, which comes not only with worldwide acclaim, but also $25.

Ship it!

This is the first writing contest I've ever entered. I've shied from doing it in the past. Several reasons for that, chief among them self-doubt and this overwhelming competitiveness I have to not simply compete but to win. I deemed myself ill-prepared, in skill and ability to handle rejection/loss.

So, I chose (had chosen for me) a poetry contest to start. 'Cause I don't think I'm as good a poet as I am a writer. And the rejection wouldn't sting so much.

Yet, I was happy with what I wrote. Maximized what ability I do have. It worked. And regardless of finish, I was proud the result.

So, thank you Alana for the swift kick to the ass and the gift of inspiration. To Oysters & Chocolate for their patronage and peerless taste in a beginner's poetry. And to each of you reading now.

I give you "Taut".

3 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

heh, you said cum.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger BG said...

I don't get it... what happened to that lady from Nantucket and her bucket at the end?

 
At 5:09 AM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

we'll be here all week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home