Monday, October 24, 2005

Better to Look Good Than to Feel Good

I was really looking forward to relating the epic tale of how I won the Poker Stars Blogger tourney and holding a contest to see who would have the pleasure of watching my house while the dear and patient wife and I went to the Bahamas.

Alas.

I was cruelly hungover, having only a few hours of fitful sleep after my High School reunion on Saturday night. We awoke at 6 in the ayem to catch our early flight back to LA, the flight's earliness precipitated by the tourney. And though things started off well (I got AA and KK in the first half-hour to get up near 3K), I was only slightly more interested in the poker than I was with my pounding head and blurred vision. I had a bluff/continuation bet with AKo snapped off by an aggressive Scot, then had to fold a couple raises to re-raises, taking me down under a grand. I pushed with A6s, found myself ahead of QT, especially after flopping the ace. Naturally, he made runner-runner two pair and I was gone after 52 minutes, a bit disappointed at my showing, but happy to immediately head off for a nap.

When I busted, I had a star-studded table. Maudie was there (also dealing with the aggressive Scot directly on her left). Said Kilt-Wearer made it to the final table, along with a second player at our table. So at least my chips went a long way.

I woke up in time to see Bobby go on his card rush (correction: his Skillful Play Tutorial, available by mail order) and, most importantly, to see the most hilarious chat in my personal experience. If you weren't there, hopefully it was captured--and soon to be posted--in all it's glory.

Congrats to the winners and those who went prize-deep (PPP Halverson, Scott and Jason among them) and thanks to Poker Stars for setting this up. I don't get on early Sunday morning flights for just anybody, so that should convey the depth of my appreciation.

*****************************

So, my reunion...

I don't really know what to think about the whole deal. As I was in the moment, I was having fun. In retrospect, I am kind of at a loss. I was surprised at the relatively poor turnout (I'd wager less than 25% of my classmates attended). I was happy to see a few faces and pleased with the conversations I had with other, more unexpected, folks. But...

I hate superficial bullshit. And, with scant exceptions, that's what it was. (I would like to stress that this is TOTALLY my own bleeping problem/characteristic and do not hold anyone accountable, save for the two people who were totally, and, far as I know, needlessly, rude to me--which is okay--and the dear and patient wife--which is not.)

On top of all that, I have Alzheimers.

You know how you wake up some weekend mornings after going a little too deeply into the bottle and your buddy reminds you of all the stupid things you did the night before, things which would probably pass into oblivion if you yourself were called on for total recall, but as soon as you hear the tale, you nod and it comes flooding back?

That happens to me, though I have an excellent memory. My good friend Schott, whose presence was the only hands-down highlight of the weekend, told this story about he and I, and two other random classmates, performing some lip-synch contest on a party night in high school. I thought he was confusing me with someone else as I had no recollection of such a strange event, but another of the participants was at the bar and verified Schott's account verbatim. Which doesn't mean I remember it at all. That portion of my brain which carried that singular event has been erased. Which makes me wonder what else has been lost?

Yes, it is quite possible I'm over-reacting to this but, in conjunction with the 20-year reunion, it's goddamn depressing.

It's a good thing I'm still handsome.

2 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Blogger Irritable Male Syndrome said...

I have the same, post drunken memory loss affliction. The way I look at it, all that stuff I don't remember isn't clogging my brain for what I really need to use it for--kicking ass at poker!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wish I could remember what I did this weekend let alone 20 years ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home