Friday, August 05, 2005

Laydown Sally

Two winning sessions in a row, highlighted last night by a second-place finish in a $20 two-table SnG. How'd I manage that, you say?

I LAID DOWN ACES!

Oh yes. At Level 3 (25/50), I raised a limper 4x with my Rockets. Got a call behind and limper hung around as well. The flop came KQQ. Limper bet out the pot. I felt he'd check with a queen, but the guy behind...

After brief consultation with Poker Royalty, I folded. Limper had JT for the OESD and Guy Behind had AQ. You may commence expressing your wonderment at my awesome skills.

I got heads up (not with either of those two jackaninnies) at a severe 5-1 chip disadvantage, though I didn't complain since the Luckbox moved me up the money ladder rather quickly by busting everyone in sight. And I even managed to pull in front briefly before lemuring it all away.

Still, I LAID DOWN ACES!

*********************************

In for a tough go tonight at the LA Blogger Home Game. No, not because the Full Tilt crew is cubicle-hopping today and planning to collude against us outsiders, but because a few of them smoke. And we'll be drinking. And playing poker. And...well...I just hope fhwrdh will be there to hold me.

*********************************

I have another desire to broach this evening. See, the last few years, I've really gotten into hockey. It's not part of my marrow (unlike certain teams located in Oakland and Liverpool), but the LA Kings are easily the most enjoyable sports ticket in town. A buddy of mine got me hooked and we've spent a dozen nights at Staples the past few winters enjoying the game and the $10 Newcastles. That jerk unceremoniously blew town a while back, however, so I am currently in need of a hockey buddy to join me in a mini-plan for the upcoming NHL return.

The lockout didn't really bother me. As I say, "casual fan" probably best describes me. But I'm intrigued by the game, likely due to its speed and tactical similarity to soccer. And the Kings have ben a fun team to watch recently, concussions and massive injury problems notwithstanding. Still, I figured I'd just be a TV watcher this year.

But now that they've signed Roenick, they're shaping up to be awfully entertaining. Was chatting with Resident Blogger Hockey Expert Jason last night (and you should really head over to one of his myriad sites for a heartly congrats on his new writing gig) and I got all fired up. Roenick, Conroy, Robitaille, Klatt, Frolov, Brown, Demitra, Avery that's a solid batch of talent up front, good mix of blue collar and flash. Get Palffy back and...

So, I'm officially back on the bandwagon. Consider this a personal ad for a New Hockey Buddy. I like long walks on the concourse and the smell of stale beer in the morning.

9 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in wonderment at your awesome skills 8^)

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Bill said...

I don't usually smoke but for you . . .

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger April said...

STAY STRONG JOE SPEAKER!

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger alan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger alan said...

So did an ace come out on the river to make everyone's hand?

I laid down aces in an online ring game once... to a big checkraise on a ragged flop. I folded, and someone else called, so I got to see that I would have rivered my set vs the set of threes.

...and dammit, one of these days I have to get myself down to LA for a blogger game.

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

guess i picked the wrong week to start smoking again...

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Heather said...

I'm thinking about this post more, and will write my own thoughts about it, but I think now that maybe laying down the aces was not the best play.


I know, can you believe I said this?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

PANSYYYYYYY!!!

Hike your skirt up and continue not smoking.

Pansy...

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Klatt was a junior hockey coach while I was playing in the youth leagues here in Osseo.

Pretty nice guy if you ever get to meet him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home