Monday, January 24, 2005

Enriching Your Vocabulary

My son has created a term, a collision of words he uses to describe something flattened or an unfortunate victim of a smash-up:

"rundover"

Said with the impatience of a 3-year old, desperate to describe what he sees with a minimum of pause.

I could not think of a better definition of how I feel today. Utterly and completely rundover.

I spent a fair chunk of the weekend trying to clear my January Reload bonus on Party. I had withdrawn some of my Party stake for Vegas and waited to re-deposit until I could get 20% back on my money. Since I have a very busy week, I knew I'd have to make a big dent in the raked hands to be able to collect the bonus.

I'll spare you the details, but suffice to say, the bonus just might cover all my ring game losses. You name it, it happened: horrendous beats, missed draws, poor tilt-induced plays, monsters swallowed by bigger monsters...

One interesting tidbit: I watched a guy--on a $1/$2 full ring game--run his table stake from $80 to $235 in 45 minutes. It was unbelievable. He saw every flop, regardless of raises, caught monster after monster (he beat my pocket Jacks with A10 when he flopped a set) and even won when he showed down king high. Everyone at the table knew he would play any two. And none of us could punish him for it. I was seeing too much green to exactly calculate his win %, but I swear he won 8 or 9 in a row at one point. Never seen anything like it.

Anyway, I had contemplated writing something about how coming back to online play last week felt like a big let-down from the previous weekend's live revelry. I even came up with a vulgar metaphor. That will have to wait. Even as this weekend's beating reinforced what I was feeling.

So, coming up, a couple days away from Party thanks to real life. Good timing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home