Tuesday, October 14, 2008

In Which I Explain Something Relatively Meaningless in a Roundabout Way

Does Matty Stairs' home run last night avenge Dennis Eckersley? I'm going to choose "Yes."

The thought process is like this. Stairs is one of my all-time favorite Oakland A's. In fact, back in the late '90s, even though they sucked (and were frequently called the "Triple A's" by yours truly) the Beer League Softball nature of the club (Stairs, John Jaha and a Jason Giambi fueled every bit as much by In and Out 4x4s as by the 'Roids) was highly entertaining. Stairs hit 38 bombs in that first year when the A's became contenders again (1999), but that was his last good season, his numbers dropping massively in the playoff year of 2000 (over 100 OPS points), and Beane sent him packing that off-season.

He always got a great reception in Oakland. There was that stupid ass sign in the bleachers that said, "Hit it Up Stairs, Matt!" And, of course, that great, penguin-esque body and Hell Bent for Leather uppercut.

Got. Damn. That ball went far last night. Whew. Right field pavilion. Same place Gibson planted one 20 years ago.

So, Exhibit A. I love Matt Stairs. He is identified with, and had his finest seasons as a member of, the Oakland A's.

Oddly enough, I shared several rounds of drinks on Saturday night with a young man sporting a Red Sox jersey with "Eckersley" across the back. Normally, I steer clear of New England sports fans and, in fact, had just walked out of a smallish alcove off the sports bar because of 12 drunk young men chanting "Let's Go Celtics!" at a baseball game. But I figured I'd give the guy a chance since he was honoring Eck (and the kid was only 24, so he was being born the last time Eck piched in Beantown). He was out from Bahstahn to see the Charger-Pats game and he and his buddy and their girlfriends and the assorted other lucky ass mofos who make up the Boston sports fan base that wandered by turned out to be good company and allowed me to get my inebriated Sports Geek on, which I don't get to do too often these days.

Exhibit B. Shots with a guy wearing an Eckersley jersey less than 48 hours previous.

It was right about AJ's bed time when Stairs ambled out of the dugout. I gave him a reprieve and sat him down next to me. I told him the history of the great Matt Stairs as an Athletic, of the many memories he gave me (and X, Stairs was her favorite A and she even made a sign for him that she displayed at the ballpark for Game 1 of the 2000 ALDS) and, above all else, the way he was about to swing from the heels. That's what I wanted my boy to see. What my friends and I call "Hitting Out."

He only took one cut, but I think he illustrated his attitude crystally and succinctly.

The world is not made up of random chance. It's all connected. There is no coincidence. Eck, you are relieved.

9 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Todd said...

I too shared the moment with my son. I told him "Watch this... there's only one thing Matt Stairs can do in baseball... Hit a fastball."

And hit it, he did.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And today just so happens to be the 20th anniversary of Gibson's homer, too. Oddly appropriate, I suppose, that today will also be the day the Doyyers are eliminated from the postseason.


But god damnit if that homerun isn't one of the worst moments in the history of anything.

-Greg


P.S. Did he really walk Mike Davis?

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good good good......

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger BigPirate said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger BigPirate said...

I feel like a geek explaining important sports moments to my kids. But, they are too young to roll their eyes yet, so I keep doing it.

Nice post.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Alana Noel Voth said...

First trip back. Weird.

Guess I'm just not into sports.

But I could explain Chris Cornell in a Roundabout Way.

Peace.

:-)

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What made that homer so much more painful was that Gibson was (is) just such a douche. I kindda feel for Broxton. Seems like a decent kid.

And was that THAT Greg?


--Roman

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good good good......

 
At 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CelebPoker Freerolls!
Running Now - 11-11 €20 Daily Freerolls - €20 Freeroll every other hour between 11am and 11pm GMT No Requirements
Running Now - FPP Freerolls - exchange your FPPs (Frequent Player Points) to play in our €1000 Freerolls
Coming November - Double €100 Freerolls every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
Coming November - €250 Freeroll every Thursday
Coming November - €125 Freeroll every Friday
Coming November - €100 Freeroll every Sunday - no entry requirements
---------------
Peter

for more information....

http://www.celebpoker.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home