Thursday, October 09, 2008

Foreshadowing and Truckin'

One can never predict what the future holds, but I'm girding for big fun this weekend. It will feature:

a) My favorite city (all-time)
b) My favorite band (current) in a GA format at House of Blues
c) My favorite mexican restaurant (all-time)
d) My favorite traveling companion (current)
e) A pimp hotel within two blocks of my favorite mexican restaurant, the venue and smack dab in the middle of my favorite city's smokin' (it's called the Gaslamp District! Get it?! "Smokin'" LOLZ!) nightlife.

While nothing is certain, I like our chances.













All this and Truckin' too. I'm gonna print these out and read them at the rooftop bar of our hotel. Okay, not really. I'll be drunk.

Reading now, though.

October 2008, Vol. 7, Issue 10


Welcome back to another issue of Truckin'.

1. Maisy Wednesday by Paul McGuire
She always wore bright lipstick which brought out a little gleam in her lips. She frequently smiled, but never initiated any sort of conversation... More

2. Happy Anniversary by John 'Falstaff' Hartness
As we stood outside the courthouse in our newly wedded bliss (which also somewhat resembled the look of people who have just survived a tornado, as it happened much faster than we expected) we decided that since Suzy didn't have to be at work for another couple of hours, we'd go have lunch. So we scraped together a few bucks and trundled over to a nearby McDonald's... More

3. A Lock of Bonnie Parker's Hair by Johnny Hughes
They was real famous and in the newspapers and all robbing them banks, when banks were unpopular. I asked Bonnie for something to remember her by. We didn't have a pencil for an autograph. She pulled this little pair of scissors out of her purse and gave me this... a lock of her hair... More

4. Whiskey Kisses by Betty After Dark
Held apart by distance and circumstance, brought together in soft voices, the pieces of who we are fill the room with every drink we pour. The gaps in our lives slowly closing as the light from the window crept into the room. There was something unavoidable that connected us, but the details were never as clear as they were this night.... More

5. What I Knew? by Dusty Rhodes
Just walk up and ask her you idiot... You've been friends for four years... she doesn't have a date and either do you... Quit being a pussy and ask her... Christ dude... what are you nervous about... More

What a Long Strange Trip It's Been...

From the Editor's Laptop:

Thanks again for wasting your precious time with Truckin'. This month's issue features veteran Truckin' writers including the legendary Johnny Hughes with another Texas tale. Dusty Rhodes and John Hartness both make triumphant returns to the Truckin' roster. Betty After Dark will whip you in a deviant frenzy with her latest sultry tale. And I shared a new piece of fiction called Maisy Wednesday.

Please tell your friends about your favorite Truckin' stories. The writers definitely appreciate your support.

Also, if you know anyone who is interested in being added to the mailing list, well, please shoot me an e-mail.

Before I go... I can never thank the writers enough for writing for free and exposing their guts, blood, and soul to the universe. Their art and dedication inspires me and I hope it inspires you too.

Be good,
McG

"A cult is a religion with no political power." - Tom Wolfe

8 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Know that you're only having slightly more fun then me at my niece's 2nd birthday party with Dora the Explorer theme!

/jealous

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Joe Speaker said...

There's gotta be tequila with a Dora theme, right?

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

Omaha is my favorite city as well.

Have a great time.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Otis said...

An old college buddy of mine has been doing a project with KOL for the past several months. They did a lot of behind the scenes funny home videos. This is the first one...lots more related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvojy-SMdnE&feature=related

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Betty Underground said...

And Betty getting sloppy seconds next Wed.

Thanks.

Could you at least hold off rubbing in the fact that you are seeing them before I get to, with a gushing blog post?

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Pauly said...

Thanks for the plug. Have fun in Omaha.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

gaslamp roolz

lol @ omaha

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is that the Solamar Hotel? I love Kimpton Hotels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home