Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Step One Complete

I've been engaged in a continuous debate in my head about this post. Not that I wasn't going to write it. I always was. It was whether or not to include pictures.

Because it's not about vanity.

Maybe a little. Fifteen percent. Tops.

But it didn't start out that way.

*

Ninety days ago, I decided, with little-to-no idea of what I was getting myself into, that I'd had enough of being unhealthy. Not out of shape, but unhealthy. So, on Monday, April 7th, I quit smoking. And drinking.

After three days of detox, I began a 90-day workout program on April 10th. I also incorporated a strict nutritional diet.

I looked like this:




Now sure, those pics are shitty. Sorry, 'bout that. Perhaps I did it (and by "it," I mean not figuring out how to work the timer on my camera, so I didn't have to shoot into a mirror while holding the damn thing) on purpose because, truth be told, I was chagrined by the state of my body. Two years of not playing soccer, of drinking too much and sitting on the couch playing poker...well...that's what you get: a concave chest, a beer gut, whatever the hell it is that you call that fat above the stomach and below the sternum, flabby arms, a total lack of definition and saggy boxer shorts.

So, why am I including pics? Because if there's one person out there who is looking to become healthier, who is results-oriented, then I want them to believe. And I say this with the utmost sincerity:

If I can do it, anyone can.

*

Now, I don't want to give the impression that I've adhered to the program with a boot camp-style mentality. Yes, I did at the start. It was no less a matter of life and death to me. For five weeks. In that time, I did not smoke, drink or go off a strict, low-carb, low-fat high-protein diet. Since then, I've partied a few times. I've socially smoked. I've eaten burritos. I've missed workouts (though, only four).

How did I feel about that? Fine. Absolutely fucking fine. Which might be the biggest change, in that I didn't beat myself silly for "slipping." What I did was get right back on the Non-Smoking, Broccoli-Infused Horse.

*

I finished Day 90 of the program earlier this evening. I start Day 1 of a new, more intense, pysical program on Monday. From now until then, I'm gonna celebrate. Not because I lost 11 pounds. Not because I lost two inches in my waist and gained nearly two on my arms. Not because I feel better than I have in 10 years.

No, I'm going to celebrate because I showed a discipline with the program that had been lacking in my life, one that has already bled into other aspects. Because I've re-discovered that motivation and energy I had in my life many years ago. Before X, before I allowed my life to become something I thought it should be instead of something to be attacked with vigor and optimism.





I'm no Adonis. I will never be. Again, not what it's about. But I'm proud and thankful to the many of you all for your words of encouragement.

If anyone wants information on how I got here, I'm happy to share via e-mail. I don't want to shill for the program. I will say it takes less than an hour a day, incorporates a gradual progression that guards against soreness and injury, comes with complete nutritional guidelines and recipes, and an online support system that is, at turns, invaluable and hilarious. Get in touch and I'll point you in the right direction.

Next pics in 90...er...94 days. Until Monday, I'm gonna forget about all of this. If you need me, I'll be at the bar.

18 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Blogger DrChako said...

Well done, man. I did the before and after pics on my blog, too. I takes guts to put it out there for all to see. Of course, I didn't think to show off my boxer briefs, either. It's bad enough you have to be a better writer, did you really have to crush my spirit with your Bobby-like package?

If you are interested...
http://pokerdoctor.blogspot.com/2008/05/i-cant-dance.html
-DrC

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

I just can't fucking stop laughing at that first pick, man.

Kudos for getting it done. I keep putting off my next push to a healthier self because I'm lazy. I'm definitely envious about this whole thing, except the picture taking.

If you weren't holding the camera in the picture, and I didn't know you, and someone told me this is a picture of their retarded older brother Cory I would have believed them.

It looks like you're capable of retard strength in that first picture. I can see you lifting a car off a little kid or uprooting a tree to get a kitten down.

Classic pic, man. Classic.

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Brush you hair.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger jremotigue said...

That first pic. Even before I read the Bracelet's comment, I thought:

"Holy shit. Please tell me that right after this, Speaker didn't put on some makeup and do a dance with his junk tucked between his legs!"

Very well done, my friend. There's a weight bench in the basement if you want to use it this weekend.

PUT THE LOTION IN THE BASKET!

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

I'm impressed. Whatever that diet is, it sure helped you with that blurry problem you were having. Kudos!

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Daddy said...

I jerked off to the first picture, but found the last two rather boring.

I am curious about this program. I will start today if you find the time to email me. I am very fat, but I enjoy broccoli.

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you still got about 20 cents on that chest, but you got me destroyed in the package area. Congratulations!

Signed,

Jealous

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

congrats on your latest achievement.

but i must say, these pics would be 1000x more impressive if you were sporting tighty whities.

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh plenty of Photoshop material here.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Div said...

So is the chest waxed or shaved?

 
At 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on sticking to it.
Hope the next 90 days goes as well as the first 90.

Nice Camel Toe in the first pic.

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit, send me the info. I have three kids ages 6 and under, but that's more reason to get my 5'10" 205 pound ass healthy than not to do it.

Congrats

Greg/chitwood

chitwood1969@gmail.com

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel compelled to add this:

If only I had a hardcopy of that first one, I could add it proudly to my "Collection of Bad Ed Photos." I can hear Rollie Koal's laughter already!!!


Derek Mendonca

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a lesbian, but I must say ....you look GREAT!!

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You look hotter in person.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger bighead said...

Dude, you are fucking hot!!!!

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Kenny Ray said...

I've been keeping my Platinum Visa card is ready and waiting... I'm ready to make my purchase now ;-)

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey congrats on having the discipline and strength to complete the 90 days.

Would love the details of the diet and workouts, gotta try something myself!!!

southeast_raider@yahoo.com

Cheers, Keep it up!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home