Friday, June 20, 2008

Lean and Mean and Not Too Far Between

Musings and Updates before hitting Jumbo's Clown Room tonight with DP. He hangs out with Derrick Rose last night and now he gets to hang out with me. How lucky can one mofo be? Though I am glad he got that autograph shit out of the way. That's not how we do it here in the City of Angels with our reliance on cultivated ambivalence toward celebrities.

(Does not apply to Salma Hayek.)

Been watching the whole of Euro '08 on TiVo the past 13 days. Helluva tournament. Just a couple stinkers and some seriously flowing play. The manner in which the Russians tooled up Sweden the other day was beautiful. The Dutch and their emphasis on positive football is a shining light in the international game. Though I suppose if I had that highly-suspect back four, I'd sub in attacking players like Robben and Van Persie with a one-goal lead, as well. Best defense is sometimes a good offense. The Turkish comeback against the aging Czechs, who looked not a day under the century mark in the last half-hour (and I like the Turks today v. Croatia, too). Just a fabulous set of games so far (France and Austria excepted).

I'm down another belt hole. That's two in 64 days if you're counting. I'm looking pretty fucking lean for a guy about to turn 41. At least until DP buys jello shots tonight.

Belated, but no less heartfelt congrats out to 125 Pounds of Brick-Defying Fury for his Razz cash, Ignatious J and LJ for their Main Event seats and Casey Aldridge for his pipe-laying (hat tip thg).

AJ was supposed to be in Cancun this week with his mom, the fiance and his kids. They did not actually go, which is absurd on so many levels. I felt terrible for AJ, who has been talking about this trip for months, while at the same time being amused and angry at X for being such a numbskull. See, they were an hour away from their flight when she realized AJ's passport had expired. Detail-oriented, she is not. Pretty much in character. If you need more proof, she booked the trip both a week early (AJ's school actually ended THIS week, not last) and they were scheduled to depart on Father's Day.

You can't make this stuff up, people.

Triple-digits in the Southland for the third straight day. If you need me this weekend, I'll be by the pool.

5 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger jremotigue said...

I have an autograph book that I'm bringing out with me tonight. You think we can bump into David Arquette?

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Betty Underground said...

Jumbo's Clown Room and Jello Shots? If I don't get a fucking drunk text from one or both of you, you're dead to me.

 
At 3:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutly nice post was i read here

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Div said...

Good work on the belt holes, but don't go getting all Size 0 on us Speaker.

Time to hit the protein shakes.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger bub said...

HAHAHA I caught the pipe layer occupation title when I read that article this morning! Too funny....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home