Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Across the Board

AJ is really perceptive about things and lately, he's been trying to get me laid. I'm not kidding.

Sunday, at my soccer game, his "minder" was the girlfriend of a teammate. After a full 90 minutes of running her ragged, he came to me at the end of the game and said, "Daddy, can (she) come home and play with us."

Later that day, at the movie theater concession, I mentioned to him that I used to work in a movie theater, that it was, in fact, my first job. In full hearing range of three hot twenty-somethings, he said, "Was that before you were a rock star?"

Now THAT'S a wingman.

*************************

I'm not the most patient person in the universe. I tend to tire of a project as soon as it stops being fun. So it was not with a great deal of anticipation that I sat down last night and spilled 700 Lego pieces on my coffee table. That's right, 700, many of them no bigger than my pinkie toenail. Yet, surprise of surprises, it was one of the most relaxing nights I've spent in a while. AJ was helpful and happy and, most importantly, focused. I took pleasure both in his enjoyment and that innate sense of accomplishment. Sure, we only managed to get the jumbo jet assembled (in 90 minutes) and tonight promises even more meticulosity as we piece together the terminal and hangar, but the satisfaction of quality time with AJ, of placid teamwork and completion...it's the best.

**************************

Hey! Look at me! My fingernails are as long as my fingers! They curve like talons and are painted like Mardi Gras! They serve no function! In fact, I can't even wipe my own ass! But look! LOOK! Notice me! PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSEEEEE!

**************************

T-minus 55 hours until the arrival of Bobby Bracelet for a weekend of alcohol, gambling and alcohol. And gambling. I'm trying to figure out how to work "douchebags" into what promises to be a crushing of the parimutual pool at Del Mar on Saturday, but I just can't come up with it.

7 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger jremotigue said...

The Bracelet is on a world tour!

Good god I fear for the women of Southern California

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

We on a world tour with Mohammud my man...

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger elizabeth said...

the fingernail thing needs explanation please. you're scaring me

oh, and i have the muffin top girl's phone number if you want to invite her to join you and bobby in the festivities. just a thought.

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger iamhoff said...

For the way that you have raised your son, I'm nominating you for Father of The Year (or whatever award might be offered). What a little wingman!

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Congratulations, Speaker. You've finally proven it.

AJ = GOLD!

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger slb159 said...

My lego airport would look comparable to something one can find in Lebanon right now.

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Legos are the coolest toys you can ever buy your kid, there are endless things to make with them.

Thumbs up for sitting and building legos with AJ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home