Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Everything in It's Place

My dear and patient wife has a sometimes endearing, frequently annoying habit of not storing items in a consistent manner. This most often perpetuates itself in the case of kitchen utensils, plunging me into My Own Personal Hell as I open every cabinet looking for the cheese grater.

The coup de grace, however, is fingernail clippers. I must have purchased a dozen of these in our time together, all of them lost at one time or another to her whims. I have marked some with my initials, forbidding her to even touch them ("No, don't even look at it"). I bought her a pedicure set a birthday or two back, complete with her own professional-style pewter clippers. Didn't help. At least half the time I go for the clippers, they are not in my medicine cabinet.

It's a good thing for her that she's nearly perfect otherwise.

I got to thinking about wandering soup ladles as she and I lay in bed last night. She's becoming less interested in poker talk, which has presented something of a problem for me lately. I have been absorbing multiple and myriad beats, shit on by the ass end of Variance, and it's consuming me. Was a time where I would rant and rave in this space, but everything I try to put down comes out whiny and self-indulgent, which I am not. Okay, I'm not whiny.

She let me get it out last night, however. The frustration poured out of me, beginning with the River 5-outer that busted me in the $20 multi. How I'd played perfectly all evening, not a single chip dumped unnecessarily, only to get sucked out in a crucial spot. How I have trouble letting go of those beats.

Definitely consumed.

So she asked me if it was worth it. I weighed the question and answered with a qualified yes. It IS worth it, but not like this.

We talked about where poker belonged in my life, in which compartment I should store it. I do pretty well balancing family, work and personal responsibilities with my play. Each has its time and place. What I DON'T do is allow my mind enough time to be poker-free.

When I write, I often blaze out a first draft in no time at all. I rarely like it, but getting the bare bones of the story and theme gives me a canvas upon which to create a finished product. One of the paths I take is to walk away from the story for a few days, returning to attack it fresh, with a different, and often surprising, perspective.

I haven't applied that same method to poker. It's burrowed itself too deeply inside my head. I can't extract it, separate it or find new angles to analyze it. As such, I repeat the same machinations over and over, a stagnant exercise to say the least. I need a fresh approach. I need to sit at the tables not over-burdened by past sessions that I've allowed to fester.

So where does poker belong?

Poker belongs off to the side. I'll never be--nor aspire to be--a pro. It's my competitive outlet. It's an intriguing mystery I like trying to solve. It's payoffs are elusive and rewarding, a hand perfectly played, a lightbulb moment.

All those things that I love about poker, however, are in danger. Because its hold is too tight. Its influence too strong. The mistakes, the beats, are overwhelming the journey. If I can't relax its grip, I'll be burned out in no time.

I need to find the proper place to put poker aside. Where I can close the mental door and be shut off from it. Where I can pull it out and see it in a different light, instead of the omnipresent black cloud of recent days.

As long as I can remember where I put it.

5 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Human Head said...

Ooooh, the fingernail clippers! I have the exact same problem. I have my favorite pair, the ones that curve WITH the nail that you can't hardly find anymore, and I demand that they be put in their specified place because if they ever get lost I swear my life will be ruined.

Perhaps I should learn to not take my clippers so seriously, but I can't help it, I'm a clipper nazi :)

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger BadBlood said...

Mr. Speaker, it's gettin' kind of scary how your thought patterns have been mirroring mine.

Right down to the fucking nail clippers.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger BigPirate said...

I share your concerns about Poker and its place in my life. Part of my frustration is the inability to find others who will really sit and talk about it with me. I know it seems weird that I would like to dig deeper into poker while, at the same time, trying to find a healthier balance in my life. The voluminous time I spend in Poker is diluted due to the poor quality. I do not play the proper limits, identify the proper games, read seriously enough, or analyze correctly. Therefore, I feel remorse over spending so much "wasted" time at the tables, virtual or otherwise. My local group has little interest in self-examination. I have tried to spark conversations on our bulletin board, but no one will post responses to my queries. One night, I offered access to my poker library to each player in the order they got knocked out of our weekly tourney under the theory that the first loser should have dibs on choice of books. Only two of six took me up on the offer. I am willing to lose some local EV in the hopes a few of them can become players I can talk to and improve my play.


Too long here. Let me sum up. You may need better quality time around poker. I know I do.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

Spatulas are the key. You can never have enough spatulas.

Spatulas...

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Poker comes in after Wyatt is asleep.

Then if the wife is either asleep or watching a TV program that I have no interest in and doesn't want me in the room commenting on the size of that chick's rack on TV. I'll go play.

If you ever get the feeling you NEED to play poker while at Legoland and have to cut the trip short so you can play, then its a problem. And I've been there with my MMORPG addiction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home