Saturday, May 07, 2005

Hard Habit to Break

Yes, I'm happy to have reached another final table in the Stars MTTs. I'm pleased to accept my second big payday in 3 days, my second straight top-9 finish in the $20 freeze-out tourney.

But no more screen shots for 5th place. For one, I'm ultimately not completely satisfied with 5th place. For two, I don't have to prove it happened, not with an all-time Motley Crew of railbirds, including my buddy OBP, Jason, Slim, Al and Glyph, who apparently has a Bat Phone or somesuch to summon bloggers. They all joined just in time to see me suck out on a guy, though he totally deserved it. Their presence was much appreciated.

What it comes down to is this: I've been to 4 final tables (and two 10th place finishes) in the last two weeks and the best I've mustered is 3rd. Now, that's great. Those things are marathons, getting that far is an accomplishment and the payday is great and everything, but I remain winless.

Let me put it another way: I'm an Oakland A's fan. In recent years, they have given me a great deal of enjoyment. A couple 100-win seasons, a 20-game winning streak and four straight playoff appearances. That's a lot of good times. But they've never won a playoff series in that time, let alone a World Series title. Which, at the end of the day, is the object.

I don't wanna be the A's.

Perhaps I should spend some time on the SnGs to work on my endgame. I think I tightened up a little to much today. Folded some hands to pre-flop raises that I could have paid to play. Blinds were big in relation to almost everyone's stack and when I eventually whiffed with AK, I was down to push and pray. Forcing more action/picking up chips earlier might have made that miss easier on my stack.

Then again, I don't know. Calling a raise at the final table with 88 or A9s doesn't sound like too much fun, either.

Regardless, good season. See you all in Spring Training.

Update (Two hours later)

What a jerk. That's what I'd think if I just read that post. Asshole wins $1200 in three days and is whining about not taking first place. Bad. Bad. Bad.

How's this: I am one BAD-ASS Motherfuckin' Card Player.

Much better. Now I'm an arrogant jerk.

4 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Blogger High Plains Drifter said...

It's odd. You finish high, score some cash, and you still feel like you're missing something. Sooooo close to the Big Prize.

I understand where you're coming from. Jerk.

:)

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger StudioGlyphic said...

You're a bad motherfuckin' player, that's for sure.

Congrats again.

Shall we do this tomorrow as well? Same bat time, same bat site?

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Now I have that damn Chicago song in my head.

Hope you're happy.

Grats on yet another MTT cash!

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i was to look into the bag for your wallet, what would it say on it? ;-)

congrats on the finishes and good luck in hitting the high notes!

-->bcd

 

Post a Comment

<< Home