Monday, March 07, 2005

Case of the Mondays

Reading my previous post makes me cringe. Talk about publicly outing yourself as an imbicile. Your Honor, I'd like to introduce People's Exhibit A.

Reminds me of the Green Day lyric: "Am I retarded or am I just overjoyed?"

I played WAY to much poker this weekend. Hard to say exactly what I'm feeling today. I just don't know.

Let's try this:

When I was a senior in college, I was a finalist in a nationwide competition for my chosen career. I was flown to San Francisco for five days of on-site competition. The pressure was intense. Just constant action. It was different than athletics, something with which I had far more experience. It was a mental, and ultimately physical, grind.

When I returned home the day after the awards banquet (I cashed), I broke down. There was relief, certainly. I was glad it was over. I hadn't slept more than four hours a night the entire time. But the buzz had gone. The energy that sustained me, the thrill of this particular chase...gone. And it was like I'd forgotten how to function without it. I was hollow, a giant vacuum into which rushed a flood of emotions. And I spent a good 24 hours in a figurative rubber room.

This is not quite that. But close. I spent seven straight hours in multi-table tourneys yesterday, managing to cash in the $11 re-buy on Stars. And I was on a tightrope the entire time. Today finds me completely spent, in no mood to subject myself to similar rigors.

Owing to my nature, I'm not concerned about my ability to return to the tables. I just need to re-charge. Get in a couple games of Hi-Ho Cherry-O with The Boy. Settle in with a nice novel. Do some yardwork. Okay, that last one was a joke.

***************************************

Speaking of figurative rubber rooms, I see where there's another Blogger tourney this Sunday. I regret I'm gonna miss that one, due to a family outing. But I'm officially RSVP'd for the WPBT even in Vegas in June. Which reminds me, if you haven't seen this already, CJ needs some info from ya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home