Friday, November 07, 2008

Review

I've been watching Season One of Mad Men on the iTunes, whilst simultaneously DVR-ing Season Two. I was not that impressed after three episodes and I will admit part of the problem was the continuous smoking put me on Tobacco Tilt. I felt like it was popular simply because of the gimmick of being set in 1960. To be certain, the design and shocking difference in societal standards provide entertainment in and of themselves. But I had yet to form a connection with any of the characters, though I'm not so obtuse I couldn't I recognize the sheer charisma of Don Draper (no homo). But I also actively hated some of the principals (beyond the ones who are purposefully odious).

Well...I'm glad I stuck it out. I stand corrected. Just four episodes later and I'm enthralled. The episode "Red in the Face" was 45-minutes of unparalleled television. Unlike a couple of my other recent favorite shows--The Wire and Deadwood--the writing is not as meaty. Where those two shows demanded you hang on every word to know what's happening, Mad Men delights in the spaces between the dialogue to set the tension. And then Draper delivers the knockout line.

"He's good with the words."

6 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Blogger gadzooks64 said...

After the initial un-politically correct shock is over you get adjusted. They do continue to throw a few more at you in later episodes as well.

It a very enjoyable ride. It's become quite the guilty pleasure.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger jremotigue said...

If you decide to continue watching through season three, you'll be rewarded with some really nice January Jones scenes.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger BWoP said...

One of my favorite shows. I'm trying to get F-Train hooked on it too!

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Gene said...

The most beautiful collection of women on any television show since...Twin Peaks?

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger F-Train said...

I allowed myself to be hooked mainly because one night, as CK was watching an ep on her laptop, I thought I heard a familiar voice. I looked over and saw that one of the regulars is someone I used to play poker with every week at the Above Malibu game in NYC. Totally weird (but completely awesome).

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Now that the RedSox are done for the year, MadMen is one of the few things worth watching.

The 60's setting might be gimmicky, but it is done so damn well! Good writing, compelling plots and complex characters. I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home