Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Hero Returns

No, not me. See bottom.

I'm back. No big pronouncement. No news. Hell, no optimism. But I'm back. Because I miss being here and if everything comes out a little cynical right now--as much as I hate that--so be it.

First, group hug. My sincere appreciation to all of you who reached out--both poker friends and non. Even more to those whom I burdened with my issues, ruining large chunks of their weekend evenings being forced to listen to my drivel. I'm grateful for your insight and lucky for your support. And if you can find a slot in your nightly prayers for me, I'll be indebted.

No, I'm not dead or dying. Though it sometimes feels like it.

Anyway, enough.

*************************

I played the $540 NLHE event last Thursday at Commerce. It was an uneventful three and a half hours during which I folded garbage hand after garbage hand and saw all of five flops. One flop I didn't see was when I held my only pocket pair of the evening, JJ, one off the button. I simply called with a raise and call in front of me, watched the button also call (sheesh) and the SB move all-in. The SB was not short, nor was he a tourist (is there a better poker word than "tourist" right now? No, there isn't). He was a good solid player who doesn't make a position steal on FOUR players. We all laid our hands down (AQs, AKo) according to the two who acted in front of me and a QQ for the SB (button preferred to remain mysterious). I showed my JJ before mucking to the guy on my right, a genial older gentleman. After the hand, he responded, "Very good control. You are not like these other kids with their push push push." I didn't have the heart to tell him I'm 38.

A few orbits later, he folded his AQs face up in the BB to my UTG raise with...uh...AJo. He said, "Anyone else, I play ace-queen there." So, I guess you could say I kinda had a table image. Folding 29 of every 30 hands pre-flop will do that for ya.

I am a little annoyed on the hand I went out on, because I will not normally play AQs that hard, but chip counts and escalating blinds dictated I make a move. I coulda done so on a hand where I could have been first in the pot however. Pushing over the top of KK? Not so much.

So, apologies to all my backers, but I did what I could with what I was dealt. And no matter what anyone tells you, I DID NOT chop a single-table satellite prior to the MTT to come out ahead for the day. Didn't happen, nor did the several pocket pairs I got at that table while I was, you know, theoretically, trying to find a rhythm for the tourney. You know what? Forget I said anything.

************************

There WAS some good news on Friday, which I celebrated by pulling on my Liverpool jersey, working on my touchline-sniffing goal celebrations and, finally, rubbing one out to the following photo while "You'll Never Walk Alone" played quietly in the background.

ChristopherFurlong/GettyImages

No, I'm not ashamed.

He's the King of the Kop
He's the best of the lot
Robbie Fowler

12 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Otis said...

Waiting for this moment. been thinking about you and fearing the worst. You're a good man, Charlie Brown. Whatever you're facing, you'll fix it. And you know you've got people out here willing to help, whatever it takes.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger AlCantHang said...

At least now it seems that Liverpool won't need to have a new rule made up so they can get into the Champs League next year. They may actually finish top 4 ;)

Hope everything is doing well, I'll raise a toast to your good fortune tonight.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Human Head said...

Glad to have you back, my man.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

I originally was going to send one of my patented recommendations to you (Pansy!) but I figured you wouldn't just be stepping away for no reason.

I hope it all works out for the good, whatever it is.

Welcome back, my IP address probably looked like that of a stalker while you were gone.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Easycure said...

Glad you're back so quickly.

I'm on an unscheduled blogging haitus rivalling your absence for no reason other than I suck.

Of course you know you can call me anytime. Fortunately for you, I don't have a life and I'm home most nights.

"When life deals you lemons, drink scotch." - Easycure, Jan. 2006

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger TenMile said...

Well, good. Been thinking about this blog.

How did you do that without a bondsman?

All aside. It is good to see you writing here.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger facty said...

hugs Joe!

factually,
facty

 
At 5:34 AM, Blogger BadBlood said...

Glad you're back Speak. Rock on with your bad self.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger BigPirate said...

Ho hum. More quality posts from Joe Speaker. Like we didn't see that coming. You are getting sooooo predictable.

Glad to have you back.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't grab junk, but I'll be there with a beer and shoulder should you ever need one.

Welcome back sir.

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I add my sentiments to the above - glad to see you back.

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger sellthekids said...

glad your back!

hope all is well and please let me know if there is anything i can personally do.

best wishes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home