Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Foolin'

Fa...Fa...Fa...Foooooooooolin'

Now, we're talking. I lost the Def Leppard vibe about 1985, or before Rick Allen lost his arm (Hell? Party of Joe? Your shuttle is ready). But High 'n' Dry and Photograph were both in steady rotation in my 14 lb. Sony Walkman. I had a regular Saturday afternoon baby-sitting gig my sophomore year in high school at a house without fucking cable and "Photograph" is the only thing that got me through. I never did own any Union Jack apparel, however.

***************************

I played the $20 MTT on Stars last night. It was a bad idea.

This one time (at gambling camp), I won $1200 at a craps table in roughly 45 minutes. This elderly gentleman was hitting points like crazy, I'd pressed my bets the entire time, even some -EV hard ways were coming in. It was rapturous.

Hard to have a down side to such a rush, but it came later. Basically, I had no desire to gamble the rest of my weekend. Because every time I sat down at a table, or wrapped my hand around the dice, I was going for that earlier feeling, that adrenaline high. Obviously, I wasn't going to get it.

That's how I felt in the tourney last night. I wasn't "involved." I wasn't committed to playing. I just signed up because it's what I generally do. Within 15 minutes, I was completely disinterested. Not exactly the right frame of mind for solid poker.

Aside from the intensity of the blogger satellites, there was the familiarity of the players, the witty banter. All these things make it so damn fun to play. I was missing that last night, the buzz.

So I played predictably shitty. And the hand I went out on was one that I played so poorly on all streets that I may have subconsciously just dumped it. Bad me.

My cure for this, as well as a necessary exercise, is to hit up one of our local card barns for a live tourney this weekend. I really need to have at least one under my belt before the WSOP. I'm thinking two or three will be even better. We'll see how it goes. Thanks to Der Kaiser for giving me the skinny.

*******************************

My knuckle isn't broken. Swelling way down, range of movement returning. But it's odd that Bob, Russell and I are all sporting hand injuries. Feeling okay, Pirate? Bob suggested we call get casts to wear at the Final Table for the TV/sympathy effect.

Which is funny, because the last time I was on TV, I had a broken bone in my wrist and was wearing a cast. If any of you are serial watchers of the Game Show Network, you may have seen me in the last couple weeks. I was on "Greed" back in 2000 and the show gets re-run about every six months, including recently.

I only won $6000, because our asshole captain didn't know his Pepperidge Farm cookies. I did oust a guy on the Terminator, however.

*****************************

Have I mentioned lately that Vegas is coming up? I keep forgetting about for...oh...15 seconds before it slams back into my head like a freight train. Just my usual trips to Vegas are events for me. But this...this is just so overwhelming. In the best possible way.

Move time! Move!

11 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger BG said...

Do you sometimes wake up in a cold sweat screaming "MILANO?"

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is Chuck Woolery's hair real?

Just wondering :D

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Felicia :) said...

I believe Rick lost his arm on NYE of 1984/85.

The 2nd of January, when I was at school, I listened to reports all day on my walkman about his surgeries to try to reattach the arm.

I "found" Def Leppard in 1983, when MTV first came out and I was 14. They helped me through many a rough teenage year, via their music.

While I have never been a fan of their lifestyle, I will always fondly rememember that their music and videos kept me from suicide; living in a stepfather, alcoholic, abusive hell.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Bill said...

I actually have hung out with Rick a few times. His mother in law and I used to work together so she scored me front row seats and backstage passes to a few LA shows. I also had dinner up at his place a few times and always found him to be a pretty cool guy. Although, he and his wife eventually split due to his alcoholism and a few domestic violence incidents.

My favorite story with him though was backstage at the Blockbuster Arena after one of the shows. He said that the night before they had played Phoenix and at the end of the show he tossed his drum stick out into the audience. The guy who caught it happened to have a backstage pass and asked him for an autograph after the show. The guy was pretty nervous and said, "I'm gonna have the drum stick framed. I wish I could get a pair of them though so I could mount them crossed." Rick, in typical British dry wit form, replies "Yeah mate, I wish I had a pair of drum sticks too."

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Easycure said...

I think it would be the coolest thing if two bloggers made the WSOP Event #2 final table and we got to see The Hammer go up against an all-in Hammer to chop a pot on national television.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Daddy said...

Mmmmm...Sausalito.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger The Bracelet said...

Domestic violence?

From a guy with one arm?

Was it her doing it to him? Cause she should have been able to fend off a skinny one armed drunk guy.

I'm going to hell.

There is a random Vegas show on the travel channel right now and I'm getting the Vegas jitters from it. It can't come soon enough.

I'll get a pink cast if you get a pink cast.

 
At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe - shoot me an an e-mail - maudie.b at gmail dc thanks!

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger BigPirate said...

My hands are fine. So far. I am wearing oven mitts for protection, though. Def Leppard and Quiet Riot were "safe" entries into the world of hard rock for our generation. I lost interest in buying Leppard albums after Pyromania but had a great time at the Hysteria tour stop singing into the ear of a high school girlfriend. I still turn up the radio every time I hear, "Rise up, gather round . . ."

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger StB said...

I may be the only one that still buys new Def Leppard discs. Yeah, X sucked but I thought Euphoria had some good stuff on it.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger BigPirate said...

AND, I remember that episode of Greed with the cookie question. I thought about trying out for that show but it disappeared before I got the chance. I also was reluctant to try to get on a show where so much of your chance of winning depended upon the knowledge of others. I prefer the random luck of cards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home