Sunday, September 17, 2006

Big Hurt, Medium Hurt, All the Little Meridians

I'm exhausted right now. In the last 10 hours I've scrubbed toilets, been kicked in the head, make several 50-yard tracking runs and threw batting practice to AJ until the sun went down. Did I mention it was 97 degrees today? I can't even sit down for fear of simply passing out. It's 7:15.

But I'm here to talk poker. Okay, not really. No analysis outside of the simple fact that I've been playing better, which for me means playing with more confidence. I don't have much time to play these days, maxing out at one or two tourneys a week. But I've felt increasingly more solid and though my ledger hadn't yet illustratee that fact, I felt it was time to dive in a bit more. So I played four multis this week (one a Stars 180). And I final tabled two of them, finishing 9th in the Special Re-Buy on Paradise and chopping the first and second money in the 180.

Yay me.

I also had a nice run in the Stars re-buy on Wednesday, pushing deep into the third hour mainly on steals and re-raises. Had nothing of import in the pocket a huge percentage of the time, but had a weak-tight group and stole enough orphans to stay alive. Until AQ lost to KQ.

About that...I'm 0-my-last-4 with AQ v. KQ. The very same hand knocked me out of the $9K on Friday night. But, I'll let it go. Because, for once, I did get lucky. In the 180, with 6 left, the chip stacks were almost equal. I held a nice chip lead when the money kicked in, but each of my raises--some with actual holdings--ran into re-raises for like half an hour. I was getting awfully sick of it. So when a guy pushed over my AQ raise, I called partly out of frustration, partly because that was the only play the guy had made for 90 minutes. Of course he had QQ. And I spiked my ace on the river.

Down to two, it was nearly 3 in the ayem (this morning) and we both had Ms over 30, so I immediately suggested the 50/50 chop. He readily agreed and hello $900. Coupled with the 'dise finish (where, to be honest, I picked a wrong time to make a play and donked my way right out of it), I feel like I have an online bankroll again. It's not anywhere near where it was when I withdrew everything for mortgage payments, but it's at its high water mark since. Picking four-team parlays helps, too.

I made no bets on the NFL this week. I had some games in mind, but was too tired to do them last night. Figured I'd lock 'em in this morning. Too bad the power was out. Even fucked up my TiVo of Arsenal-ManU. So AJ and I cleaned the house, with nothing better--or able--to do. Smells like bleach in here. Which is better than socks.

The head-kicking occured in my soccer game, the primary component of my tiredness. Still have me playing on the wing and all that running is...quite simply...bullshit. Anyway, I rose to meet a corner with the net gaping and right before I put forehead to ball, "Don't knock it over!" screamed into my mind. I suppose I over-compensated since I drove it almost straight into the ground from 6-yards out, it bouncing up and hitting the underside of the crossbar. It was still loose, so I stabbed at it, only to have my leg hooked from behind, knocking me forward into a scrum. How the ball didn't go in, sitting there longingly on the goal line, I have no idea, perhaps due to the couple minutes of blurred vision and inability to do basic math.

Because of AJ's love for Frank Thomas (and really, which A's fan in the universe doesn't have a huge man-crush on the Big Hurt right now), I kept calling him Little Hurt as he sprayed line drives all over the park. He didn't like it, because he doesn't want to be thought of as "little." So, if you see my boy about, please refer to him as "Medium Hurt."

That settled, he wanted to know what he should call me. How 'bout "Old Hurt?"

4 Comments:

At 5:29 AM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

Speaker, you're not "old". No fogeys will be at the Bash. This week.

Hang on, let me repeat that so it sinks in:

THIS WEEK.

Bring your skills, buddy. It's going to be a wild ride. See you there!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

In high school/college I always thought of myself as the "Light Hurt", 120 pounds of home run hitting madness defying physics.

Then I found beer, with 10 added years now I'm more of a "Lumpy Dull Pain".

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Otis said...

For what it’s worth, the Governor made a few calls and, by and by, a couple of cranky highway workers came out on a Friday afternoon and moved the sign over to a two-lane road in Liberty. I stood with Cappy while the crew hung the sign on a tall post.

“Let’s hope there aren’t any lesbians in Liberty,” he said and walked off toward my truck.


By the time I finished the story, four the final ten in the poker tournament had lost their chips to bad play, bad luck, or excessive drink. It wasn’t too long before Billy and I were looking at each other across the table. I had most of the chips, but I’d been watching Billy play for the past hour or so and he had me a little scared. All night I’d been dreaming about the idea of landing in Las Vegas in June and playing in my first-ever World Series of Poker event. I was supposed to go the year before, but that was the year my wife left and took most of my bankroll with her. I didn’t have the heart to chase her down. Now, I had the chance again and all that stood in my way was the kid who had put down four tallboys since he walked in.

***

Next: Poker Stage

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger rakethetable said...

Awesome time spent with AJ. You will remember that for years past the memory of AQ vs KQ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home