Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day at the Zoo

Twenty years I've lived in L.A., but I've never been to the Zoo which sits on the northern rim of Griffith Park, next to the Wilson and Harding golf courses where I used to play every Friday morning before I broke my wrist. You can tour it in three hours, see everything it has to offer, less than $20 for Dad and son, unlike the World Famous San Diego Zoo, where we've gone twice, just a couple hours south, an all-day affair and you'll be sore in the calves the next day from all the hills and you ain't getting out of Balboa Park spending less than $150 for the privilege.

So, ghetto zoo it is.



The fairly pedestrian nature of the flora, fauna and, it must be said, some emaciated looking jungle cats, didn't register on AJ. We might as well have been smack dab in the middle of the Serengeti. Here, he explains to me all I need to know about lions.



So yeah, price was right, kid was amused, we were home and dry by Happy Hour and got some good pics. And some less than good. I told him to look cool with the camel.



Then he wanted to take a picture of me with the same camel and...well...if you look closely enough...you can see a couple humps back there (that's what she said).



That became the game. Each of us taking pics of the other and trying to get both human and animal in the picture. He managed to get me and animal in once more.





I swear there are some flamingos back there.

Last, my favorite picture of every trip AJ and I take: the one with him passed out from exhaustion while I drive home (this time with his new stuffed viper; it's not a boa constrictor. Trust me). I swear, when I'm in adult diapers, I'm going to do the same to him every time. Except I'll snore louder.

2 Comments:

At 6:03 AM, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

You win that one...the kind of snore.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger jremotigue said...

Growing the hair out?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home