Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Thought For the Day

"My standard for verisimilitude is simple and I came to it when I started to write prose narrative: fuck the average reader. I was always told to write for the average reader in my newspaper life. The average reader, as they meant it, was some suburban white subscriber with two-point-whatever kids and three-point-whatever cars and a dog and a cat and lawn furniture. He knows nothing and he needs everything explained to him right away, so that exposition becomes this incredible, story-killing burden. Fuck him. Fuck him to hell."
--David Simon, creator of The Wire

The first journalism class I had, one of the first things they told us was to "write to a 10th grade education." I always hated that idea. Perpetuates stupidity. A barrier to challenging readers/viewers.

(Read the full Simon interview with Nick Hornby here.)

8 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Your back. Dear God. You are back!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger iamhoff said...

What happened? I read Rooster's post and freaked! Aw Ted, don't be dead, dude! And like a previous post, I played GH for the first time over Christmas. Slow Ride, hit 80% on easy for my first try. Must not ever buy one, or my life will be over.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A-fucking-Men. I still fight this from my editors a lot, and my response is it's perfectly fine to get them to look up a word every once in a while.

Thanks man! Show up on IRC so we can look at old 80s thrash metal videos on YouTube!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Wwonka said...

Please don't Go.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Pauly said...

"Me fail English? That's unpossible." - Ralph Wiggum

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Human Head said...

Fookin' A.

Although, I might have gone with "Fuck them. Right in their stupid asses."

Tomato, tomahto :)

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back when I was a budding high school journalist I went to a conference. They had us in a story competition where we were supposed to be covering a press conference by McDonald's. I just stenographed the whole thing, dumbed it down and made a short inverted pyramid, and won a gold medal. That was about the day my fantasy of journamilism died.

The thing about The Wire is, there are ninety million characters and they're all real and every time I see another episode my fantasy of screenwriteralism dies a little too, because how the hell can I ever write something that good?

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Ignatious said...

awesome quote. and inspiring.

off to read the interview.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home