Friday, December 17, 2004

Joe Boxer

Yesterday, I did something I'd never done before. I put my underwear (boxers, for those of you who keep track of such things) on backwards. I didn't realize it until a few hours later and since it wasn't uncomfortable, I declined to completely disrobe at work to fix it.

So, the first day of my 37+ years that I put my underwear on backwards is the first day in Tim Hudson's 30+ years that he gets traded.

Coincidence?

I think not.

Considering I also missed my train for the first time ever, it's clear that doing the Kris Kross thing with one's undergarments is a bad, bad omen.

You can rest assured I double-checked this morning.

So, does anybody have any superstitions at the poker table? Good luck charms? Reptile sunglasses?

I tend to sit in the same seats when playing at party poker. I have a couple three favorites. And there are others I avoid. Do I think it makes my cards better? No. But, at the very least, it eases my mind. Makes me more comfortable. Can't hurt, can it? I don't think so.

I definitely think state of mind has a lot to do with success or failure in poker or any type of gambling. And it can be influenced by a lot of things, gambling-related or not. For instance, when I play blackjack, I like to have a good time. Yes, sometimes that good time--with its attendant drinking and conversation--impairs my ability to cheat...er...count cards. But I've found my results FAR more promising in those situations, rather than those where I am living and dying with every card that falls, wound so tightly that my kidneys hurt. (I'm sure I could find a happy medium in there somewhere, but I'm all about the extremes, baby)

It's similar at my virtual poker table. Silly as it may be, if I have it in my head that I "always get crappy cards when I sit at that seat," then that's going to work against me, even as I KNOW the very idea is riduculous. So I take my preferred seat, don't give it another thought and off I go.

So yeah, I think it has a small effect. And is a harmless habit if one doesn't attach undue significance or stockpile a massive arsenal of "idiosyncracies." 'Cause then you're obsessive-compulsive.

So, what's your silliest superstition?

**********************************

Dropped a bit of the bankroll last night. One 2nd-place finished in 3 $20 SnGs (and a 4th and a 5th). Pretty run of the mill stuff, except I had the other guy on the brink when heads up and my set of 8s got cracked by the nut flush. Too bad.

Had a horrible time on the $25 NL tables, losing my only buy-in. Just couldn't hit. Pocket 10s and get 3 overcards on the board. TPTK falls to a hidden set. And so on. Played for more than an hour there and never once went above my buy-in. I did go past the raked hands limit for my free party poker jacket, however! Though I think I'd prefer the $3.50 production price to go into my account.

***********************************

I've got two big challenges ahead of me this weekend. One, I need to finish the Christmas shopping. Two, I thought I'd devote some time to the Step Challenge on Party. Not sure which one's gonna be tougher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home